Care for 4c Hair
Rasa Salon was proud to open up the 2nd annual Philadelphia Natural Hair Show on June 7th, with our Presentation on “Care for 4c Hair”. We are so thankful for everyone who attended our presentation and supported us at the show, especially Monique and her staff at the Philadelphia Natural Hair Show.
Re-cap of our presentation
Caring for Natural Hair can be challenging, but so many women are excited and feeling empowered about learning healthy hair care habits, styling options, and products.
There is so much information out there, it can be a bit overwhelming and all the new “natural hair terminology” may have you wondering about your natural hair texture.
It was my intention to de-mystify some facts about hair texture, and healthy natural hair products.
What is 4c hair anyways? How useful is the hair type chart?
The hair type chart consists of 4 curl types from straight 1a to the curliest of hair textures 4c. Some of the characteristics of 4c hair are:
- Tangles & locks easily
- Lots of shrinkage when wet
- Feels dry and breaks easily
- Soaks up conditioners & oils quickly holds natural styles very well
Surprisingly the hair chart, to me is not very useful at all. It is a very vague description of what a hair textures can look like, but there are many more factors to consider when determining hair texture. You can have multiple hair textures on your head (many people have varying textures on their edges, crown or nape of the neck. The hair chart does not take into consideration many of the factors that contribute to hair texture.
Some of those factors include:
- Density or amount of strands per square inch on the scalp
- Porosity or ability of the hair to hold moisture & water
- Elasticity or ability of the hair to stretch like a rubber band without breaking
- Strand size which is the thickness and diameter of an individual strand of hair 5. Hair that us heat treated may not retain its natural texture
Most importantly EVERYONE’S HAIR TEXTURE IS UNIQUE! Ethnicity does not determine hair texture, remember everyone’s hair texture is UNUQUE!
Join us on the journey to loving your natural hair by learning the qualities that your hair possesses, using natural products and making wise decisions to support your total health and well-being.
4C Hair Care Tips
With all that being said here are some tips for care of UNUQUE and tightly coiled hair textures.
- Moisture Moisture Moisture! Your hair is thirsty & so is your body ( which by the way your hair is connected to) lol
– The best water for your hair & body is filtered or distilled water which is best for making home beauty products
– Remember to drink at least 8 glasses of water a day for radiant & well hydrated skin & hair.
– Keep your hair regularly hydrated with leave in conditioner sprays, herbal rinses & deep conditioners.
Kashta Herbal Hair Treatment
- Apple cider vinegar! Apple cider vinegar is an old fashioned hair remedy witch is also great for overall health & vitality. You know you have found a fabulous beauty product when you can use it internally or externally.
– add a few tablespoons of apple cider vinegar (with the mother) I recommend Braggs, to a glass of water in the morning add honey if needed. This will keep your body alkaline, aid in cleansing the blood, helps to burn fat and keeps you energized to name a few.
– it also helps to smooth the cuticle layer of the hair for shine & easier detangling, dilute with equal parts of water.
- Get regular trims at least 2-4 times a year to keep ends from splitting and healthy hair growth.
- Use wide tooth bone combs for detangling and hard rubber brushes like the Denman brush. Have patience while detangling and never rip or pull the hair to get knots out. Carefully work your way from the ends upward.
- Shampoo & detangling your hair in sections. Sectioning the hair in large plaits or twists before shampooing or during the comb-out process can be extremely helpful. When you break down the task of detangling into sections it won’t be quite as overwhelming. Feel free to add coconut oil or vegetable glycerin for easier detangling.
- Don’t scratch!! Hair loss and breakage can really stunt your hair growth process. Sometimes an itchy scalp can be the culprit of hair breakage. If you have the urge to itch RESIST! An itchy scalp may be cured with a baking soda shampoo scrub for the scalp. Rasa Salon offers a leave in herbal treatment for itchy scalp & hair loss called KASHTA herbal treatment. Remember to oil your scalp & use a leave in conditioner to soothe an itchy scalp.
- Eat a healthy diet including: dark green leafy vegetables, rich in vitamins like kale & spinach. Eat high protein foods like quinoa, beans, nuts, and wild caught salmon. These foods will make hair happy! Avoid processed foods as much as possible.
- Avoid heat on natural hair from blow dryers or flat irons, heat can be very destructive & damaging to your natural hair curl pattern. When natural hair is damaged by heat it may never return or revert to its natural hair texture.
- Stretch your natural curl pattern with out the use of heat by doing twist outs, chunky braids, or flexi rod sets or any other type of wet set. Enhance your natural hair texture with wet sets that will also keep your hair from tangling and more manageable for everyday wear.
- Sleep on a silk satin pillow case to protect your hair from breakage or snags that synthetic or cotton pillow cases may cause. It’s also helpful to sleep or work out wearing a Rasa Loc Band.
Most importantly LOVE YOUR NATURAL HAIR & have patience!
Home Hair Care Treatments for beautiful healthy curly hair
Detangling deep conditioner:
- 1 banana (or avocado)
- 2 table spoons of honey
- 2 table spoons of vegetable glycerin
- 2 table spoons of coconut oil or oil of your choice (cold pressed olive oil) also works fine
Mix all ingredients in a bowl with a wisk or blender. Apply after shampooing the hair. Cover with a plastic cap and hot towel or steamer for 10-30 minutes. Detangling in sections.
Cyrus Hair & Body Gel
Sexy Summer leave in conditioner spray for hair & body:
It’s that simple just mix the ingredients together in a spray bottle shake & use on hair to keep hair hydrated, curls shiny & defined! Keep spray refrigerated to extend shelf life & for a refreshing treat for your hair & body.
Thanks again for all the love & I hope these tips were helpful. Please contact me here
with questions, inquires about joining the Rasa Salon team, or participating in our comprehensive natural hair care training program called the Rasa Styling System.
Peace & Blessings remember, “you are beautiful & you are loved”
Amber Muhammad, Rasa Salon
Expires July 31, 2014
Print This Post